Crispy Barbequed Tofu Slices
|Calories Per Serving:
- 1 (16 ounce) package Extra Firm Tofu
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Egg White
- 1 tbsp Barbeque Sauce
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 cup Barbeque Sauce
- Drain tofu and cut into slices.
- Place the tofu slices in a plastic bag and freeze overnight.
- Remove the tofu slices before cooking and thaw them. Blot on paper towels to dry them.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and heat olive oil in it.
- Combine together egg white and 1 tablespoon of barbeque sauce. Whisk well.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Dip each tofu slice into the egg mixture and then into the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour.
- Fry in the heated oil for about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels, to absorb excess oil.
- Preheat the oven's broiler.
- Brush the tofu slices with the additional barbeque sauce and keep them aside for marinating.
- Arrange the slices over a cookie sheet and place on the broiler pan.
- Place the pan 6 inches away from the heat.
- Broil for 5 minutes on each side, until brown and crisp.
- Serve warm with the remaining barbeque sauce as a dip.