Greek Potato and Almond Dip
- ¾ lb Russet (baking) Potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- ½ cup Almonds (sliced)
- ½ cup fresh White Bread Crumbs (coarse)
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tbsp plus more Lemon Juice (divided)
- 2/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (warmed)
- Salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the potatoes in a small pot and pour enough water to cover them.
- Add salt and put the pot on flame, for cooking.
- Simmer the potatoes until tender, say for about 10 minutes.
- Place the almonds and bread crumbs in a baking dish and toast them in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, till they turn pale golden.
- Remove and let them cool down.
- Place the garlic cloves in a food processor and chop them finely.
- Add toasted almonds and bread crumbs. Grind them to a fine form.
- Add water, salt and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Grind to a fine paste.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them coarsely.
- Add the mashed potatoes and olive oil to the food processor. Blend to combine well.
- Add lemon juice to taste and add water, if required to thin the preparation.
- Serve warm with butter crackers.