- 1 kg Chicken (pieces)
- 500 gm Basmati Rice (washed and soaked for 30 min)
- 4 tbsp Garam Masala (whole)
- 4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 50 gm Butter
- 4 tsp Garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup Onions (sliced)
- 4 tsp Ginger (chopped)
- 3 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 cup Curd (yogurt)
- 3/4 cup Tomato (chopped)
- 4 Bay Leaves
For the marinade :
- 1-1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Ginger (chopped)
- 2 tsp Garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 cup Yoghurt
- 1/2 gm Saffron (dissolved in 1/2 cup milk)
- 2 tbsp Rose Water
- Put all the ingredients of the marinade in a bowl and mix well.
- Add chicken pieces to it and leave for an hour.
- Now boil water, add 1/2 of the whole garam masala, bay leaf, and rice in it.
- Cook the rice until 3/4 th is done, drain and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and add remaining whole garam masala.
- Allow it to crackle, add sliced onions and cook it till light golden brown.
- Add 1 tsp of the remaining garam masala and all the remaining ingredients, including tomatoes, but excluding rice.
- Cook for 5 minutes, combine marinated chicken with it.
- Cook until chicken is tender.
- Place alternate layers of chicken and rice.
- Now sprinkle saffron, remaining garam masala powder and butter in between the layers and on the top.
- Carefully end it with the rice layer topped with saffron & rose water.
- Cover and seal it with an aluminum foil.
- Cook it further on low flame for 10-12 minutes.
- Chicken Biryani is ready to serve.