- 1 large head Cabbage (center core removed)
- 1 lb each of Ground Beef, Ground Pork & Ground Veal
- 2 cups White Rice (cooked)
- 1 cup Onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Salt Pork (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 2 cans Tomato Soup
- 1-1/2 cans Water
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp each of Celery Salt, Sweet Basil, Nutmeg & Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 stick Butter/Margarine
- Parboil cabbage in a large pot filled with water. Keep removing the leaves as thet fall off into the water and are tender.
- Cook till all the leaves are tender, but not ripping apart. Wash thoroughly with cold water and drain.
- Cut the black membrane off the back of each leaf. Set aside.
- Sauté onion in butter/margarine until lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Put all the uncooked meat into a large mixing bowl. Add the sautéed onions.
- Brown salt pork in the same pan and add to the meat with a slotted spoon.
- Dry the seasonings, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup, along with the cooked rice and mix thoroughly.
- Lay out the cabbage leaves and place 2-3 tbsp of meat mixture on the wider side.
- Roll the leaf over the meat. Tuck in the sides of the leaf and continue to roll. Roll the remaining cabbage rolls in the same way.
- Place the rolls in a greased roasting pan.
- Combine the tomato soup, water and brown sugar and pour over the rolls.
- Bake at a temperature of 325 degrees F, for 2-2 ½ hours.
- Serve hot.