- 1-1/2 cups Uncooked Rice
- 2 pinches Saffron (dissolved in a little water)
- 2 Onions (sliced)
- 2 tbsp Cashew nuts (broken into pieces)
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 3 Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 2 Capsicums (sliced)
- 2 cups (mixed boiled vegetables i.e. chopped cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, green peas)
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- A little Milk
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
To be ground into a paste:
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 25 mm piece of Ginger
- 3 Cardamoms
- 4 Green Chilies
- 3 Cloves
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 2 sticks Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilly Powder
- 2 Onions
- 6 Mint leaves
- Boil the rice in a vessel containing adequate water, cook and drain excess water.
- Add the saffron liquid and salt to the cooked rice. Mix well.
- Heat the ghee and add the onions.Fry until brown.
- Remove the onions and in the same ghee, add the cashewnuts and raisins.
- Fry for a few seconds. Remove and keep aside for garnishing.
- Add the prepared paste and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and capsicum and fry again for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the boiled vegetables and coriander and cook for a while.
- Put 2 tablespoons of ghee at the bottom of a baking bowl.
- Make layers of the rice and vegetables, beginning and ending with rice.
- Sprinkle a little milk on top.
- Cover and bake in a hot oven at 200 degree C for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fried onions, cashew nuts and raisins and serve hot.