Blueberry and Ricotta Pancakes
- 1-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 3 large Eggs (separated)
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 6 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1-3/4 cup + 2 tbsp Milk
- Heated Pure Maple Syrup, to serve with
- 1-1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Lemon (zest, grated)
- Mix in the first three ingredients just to blend them well.
- In another large bowl beat the egg yolks and add the milk, ricotta cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the lemon zest with this if you care to use it.
- Mix in all the other dry ingredients to this bowlful and whisk until smooth.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until froth begins to form.
- Remove the egg whites from the beater and mix a bit of the batter in to them and then very gently fold the egg whites to the batter until just combined.
- Heat a griddle pan until moderately hot and lightly butter it.
- Use a quarter cup measure to pour the batter onto the griddle pan and cook over moderate heat (you don't want the butter to burn and ruin your pancakes' flavor) until bottoms are golden and starting to set.
- Use a wide spatula to flip the pancakes, sprinkle them with blueberries which you press gently in - don't apply too much pressure or the berries will burst open. Cook until done.
- Top with maple syrup before serving.