Date and Chocolate Torrone
- 300 g Dark Chocolate
- 2 Eggs
- 200 g Unsalted Butter
- 50 g Currants
- 50 ml Brandy
- 100 g Castor Sugar
- 225 g Shortbread Biscuits
- 110 g Mixed Peel
- 70 g Pitted Dates (chopped)
- 50 g Roasted Almonds (chopped coarsely)
- Cocoa Powder
- In a large bowl, combine the brandy and currants. Cover them and set them aside for about an hour and a half.
- In a large pan, put some water and bring it to a boil. Turn down the flame and let it simmer. Place butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and put it over the simmering water and keep stirring until the two melt. Blend to form a smooth consistency.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until well creamed and thick.
- Stir in the chocolate mixture, followed by the currants and brandy mixture.
- Break the shortbread biscuits into this mixture, followed by the mixed peel, dates and almonds. Mix just till well combined.
- Line the base of a cake pan with paper and spoon the mixture into the pan, spreading it out.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and smooth it out. Refrigerate it overnight or until it is set.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bring it on to the serving dish.
- Dust it with cocoa powder and slice when serving.