Roast Eggplant with Walnuts
|Calories Per Serving:
- 2¾ lbs Eggplants
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 cup Walnuts (chopped and divided)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1½ tbsp Vinegar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 tbsp Parsley (chopped)
- Using a sharp fork, pierce the eggplants in 2 to 3 places.
- Place them on a height in the grill and set them over a medium-low heat.
- Turn them about 3 times, giving 15 minutes to one side, till they are completely soft and the skin get black and blistery. This will take about 45 minutes.
- Remove the eggplants from the grill and cool them slightly.
- Remove the black parched skin and squeeze gently, to remove any juices. Discard the juices.
- Crush the eggplant pulp with a fork, to form a puree.
- Grill the green bell pepper till it is soft.
- Remove and cover with a plastic sheet. Let it cool.
- Core, seed and slip off the skin.
- Chop the bell pepper finely and mix with the eggplant puree.
- Place garlic cloves, ½ cup walnuts and ½ tsp salt in a food processor. Blend them to a paste.
- Add ricotta cheese, olive oil, vinegar, salt and black pepper. Blend again to combine the ingredients.
- Mix the walnut mixture with the eggplant mixture in a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle parsley and remaining ½ cup walnuts on top.
- Serve with toasted and crisp pita.