- 340 g Rice Flour or Rice Flour (wet)
- 1-1/2 cup Coconut or Coconut Milk
- 225 g Sago Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 425 ml Water
- 8 Screw Pine Leaves
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence (optional)
- Red Food Coloring
- 450 g Sugar
- Mix rice flour, sago flour, coconut and salt. Keep it aside.
- Boil water, vanilla essence, screw pine leaves, and sugar, until the last one dissolves.
- Set aside the syrup to thicken and then strain.
- Transfer the hot boiled syrup gradually into the flour mixture, stirring it continuously, till it is well blended.
- Next, divide flour mixture into two portions.
- Keep aside one portion, which will be uncolored and mix red color in another portion.
- Grease a square or round tin.
- Keep it in a steamer and pour 140 ml of uncolored batter in the tin.
- Steam each layer for six to eight minutes.
- Pour alternatively colored and uncolored batter and steam till the mixture is dried up.
- Always stir the mixture before pouring it for steam. AT the same time, use your fingers to check that the previos layer is cooked, before adding the new one.
- Cool the cake completely before cutting and serving.