- 1 broiler Chicken (whole)
- 3 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 cup Water (lukewarm)
- 3 cups Rice
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1 Onion (peeled)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 6 cups Water Mixture (Water and Chicken Broth)
- Black Pepper to season (grounded)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Pie Dish (medium sized)
- Mix flour, salt and 1 cup of water. Divide the dough into two portions and cover with wet cloth.
- Take water in a large bottomed vessel; add salt and a whole peeled onion.
- Bring it to boil and add whole chicken till it becomes tender.
- Now, remove the chicken from the vessel, take out the bones, and cut chicken meat into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Take 2 tbsp of butter or margarine in the vessel and melt it over medium flame.
- Add rice and cook it on high flame, for about 2 minutes, stirring it continuously.
- Now, add 1/2 tsp salt and 6 cups of water mixture. Cover with a lid.
- Cook the rice on low flame and simmer for 10 minutes, until it is done.
- Roll two portions into 2 separate circles of 10 inches that can fit into the medium sized pie dish.
- Grease the pie dish lightly and lay one round of dough circle in it.
- Put a spoonful of rice mixture and season it with grounded pepper.
- Next, spread the chicken pieces on top of the rice mixture and cover it with the 2nd dough round.
- Close the sides by pinching their edges, and remove any excess dough.
- Brush the top layer with beaten egg and bake it in oven for about 30 minutes.
- Kobete is ready when the top turns fine yellowish brown.
- Serve it hot with fresh salad or sauce