Spanish Chicken and Rice
- 1 frying Chicken (cut up)
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Celery (chopped)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Onion (chopped)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 cup raw long-grain Rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) Tomato Sauce
- 1½ cups Water
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Saffron Threads (crumbled)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar (optional)
- 1 jar (4 ounces) Pimientos (chopped)
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet, over medium heat. Brown chicken and remove from heat.
- Pour off all, but 2 tbsp of oil. Add in celery, green pepper, onion, garlic, rice, tomato sauce, water, saffron, salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir the ingredients well.
- Transfer the chicken pieces back to the skillet.
- Cover the skillet and cook for 30-40 minutes, on low heat. The rice should be cooked by this time.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and add pimiento.
- Heat through and serve warm.