Tofu and Mushrooms
|Calories Per Serving:
- 1½ tbsp Peanut Oil
- 3 cups (about 8 oz) quartered Shiitake Mushroom Caps
- ½ cup Carrot (chopped)
- ½ cup Green Onions (minced)
- 2 tbsp fresh Ginger (peeled and minced)
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium Chicken Broth
- 5 tbsp low-sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sake/ Rice Wine
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Sambal Oelek (Chili Paste)
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tsp Water
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 (12.3 oz) package extra-firm Silken Tofu (drained and cut into ½-inch cubes)
- 2 cups hot cooked Brown Rice
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and heat peanut oil.
- Add mushrooms, carrot, green onions, ginger and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, soy sauce, sake, sugar and sambal oelek. Stir well.
- Cover the skillet and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take a mixing bowl and combine together cornstarch, water and rice vinegar. Whisk well to blend.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the mushroom mixture. Stir well and boil it.
- When the mixture starts boiling, cook for another 1 minute until thick, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and add the tofu cubes. Cover and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Transfer brown rice onto a serving plate.
- Pour the tofu mixture over the rice and serve hot.