Fennel and Celery Root Casserole
|Calories Per Serving:
- 1 large Fennel Bulb (trimmed and sliced ¼ inch thick)
- 1 large Celery Root, trimmed and sliced ¼ inch thick)
- 1 small Sweet Onion (sliced ¼ inch thick)
- Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- 1 large Apple (peeled, cored and sliced ¼ inch thick)
- 1 pint heavy Whipping Cream
- Cheddar Cheese (shredded, for garnishing)
- Water (as required)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Pour enough water in a large steamer pot. Boil it.
- Place the fennel bulb, celery root and sweet onion in the steamer insert.
- Steam the vegetables till they turn tender for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Spread the steamed vegetables at the bottom of a 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Arrange the apple slices over the vegetables.
- Add salt and black pepper.
- Pour whipping cream around the sides of the dish to reach half-way to the top.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for about 40 minutes till the cheese has melted and the preparation turns hot and bubbly.