Beef and Dumpling Soup
- For Soup:
- 1 1/2 lbs Beef Chuck (with bones)
- 1 Onion (peeled)
- 1 Carrot (peeled and sliced)
- 1 Turnip (small)
- 1 tsp Spices (whole)
- 1 tsp Marjoram (dried)
- 1 tbsp Parsley (chopped)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- For Dumplings:
- 5 Potatoes
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Broth
- 1/2 cup Flour
- Salt to taste
- Keep the meat in a deep bottomed vessel or pot with cold water. Boil the meat and remove the froth as it rises to the top.
- Add onion, all spices, bay leaf, turnip, carrot, marjoram and salt. Cover and let it simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Next add the peeled potatoes without chopping them. Simmer until cooked. Remove from the broth and cool it.
- Now mash the potatoes with the fork and add 1/4 cooking broth, flour, egg and salt. Blend them well.
- When the meat becomes tender remove from the broth and cool it.
- Take a rounded tablespoon of dough and release it in the broth, dipping the spoon in the broth between each dumpling. If the dumplings break, add a little more flour to the dough to make it firm. Simmer it for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the bones and fat from the meat. Cut them into bite size chunks, and add to the soup. Add salt to taste.
- Garnish it with chopped parsley.