- 25 g (1 oz) fresh Mint Leaves
- 425 ml (3/4 pint) Water
- 100 g (4 oz) Caster Sugar
- 2 Lemons (thinly striped zest and juiced)
- Few drops of Green Food Coloring
- 1 Egg White
- Sprigs of Mint (to decorate)
- Place a heavy-based saucepan on fire and pour water.
- Add caster sugar and lemon zest to the water.
- Dissolve the sugar while stirring on low heat.
- Boil the mixture and simmer thereafter for 5 minutes, without stirring.
- Remove the syrup from heat and add lemon juice and mint leaves. Allow the syrup to cool completely.
- Take 850 ml freeze-proof container and strain the syrup into it.
- Add green food coloring and stir well.
- Cover the container and freeze for about 3 hours till the mixture is frozen about 1 cm around the edges and slushy in the center.
- Remove the mixture into a large bowl and mash well using a fork.
- Whisk the egg white in a separate dry bowl until stiff peaks are formed.
- Whisk the mint mixture to break the large lumps.
- Stir in the egg white into the mint mixture, about 1/3 at a time. Whisk well until the mixture blends well.
- Transfer the mixture back into the container and cover it.
- Freeze for another 3 hours until firm.
- 5 minutes before serving, remove the sorbet from the freezer and allow it to soften at room temperature.
- Scoop into stemmed glasses.
- Decorate with mint sprigs and serve immediately.