Prune Mocha Cake
|Calories Per Serving:
- ½ cup Shortening
- 1½ cups White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Prunes (cooked and chopped)
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Cinnamon (ground)
- 1 tsp Nutmeg (ground)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 6 tbsp Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 3 cups Confectioners' Sugar
- 1½ tbsp unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1½ tbsp Coffee (strong brewed)
- Cream white sugar and shortening in a large bowl till it turns light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs separately and add to the sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Add prunes. Combine well.
- Take another bowl and combine together flour, baking soda, baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the prunes mixture alternating with buttermilk. Stir well.
- Grease and four 2 9-inch baking pans.
- Pour the batter into the baking pans.
- Bake at 375 °F (190 °C) for about 30 minutes.
- Remove and cool the cakes completely.
- Cream the butter in as bowl.
- Add egg yolk and mix well.
- Sift together confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder and 1 tsp cinnamon separately.
- Add the sugar mixture to the egg mixture alternating with hot brewed coffee. Stir well.
- Spread the icing on the cooled cake.
- Refrigerate to allow the icing to set.
- Slice and serve chilled.