Celery Japanese Style
- 2 large, wide Green Celery Stalks
- 1½ tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1 tbsp Japanese Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sake/ Dry Sherry
- A pinch of Caster Sugar
- A pinch of Ajinomoto/ Japanese Taste Powder (optional)
- Chop the ends of the celery stalks and their leaves.
- Wash the stalks and leaves under cold running water by scrubbing them.
- Using a potato peeler, remove the outer layer of the celery stalks. Ensure that there are no strings left.
- Slice the stalks into 4 equal strips. Thereafter cut them into large matchstick size pieces around 5cm in length.
- Place a non-stick frying pan on heat and heat sunflower oil.
- Add the celery pieces and stir fry for 1½ minutes.
- Add soy sauce and sake. Mix well and heat still the liquid has dried out, leaving enough to keep the celery moist.
- Add sugar and Ajinomoto. Stir well.
- Transfer to individual serving plates.
- Serve cold or hot with boiled or steamed rice.