- 6 boneless Chicken Breasts (1/2-inch wide strips)
- For Marinade:
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup Lime Juice
- 2 cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp dried Chili
- Peanut Sauce
- 2/3 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Molasses/Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Ginger Root (grated)
- 4 cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Soymilk
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- For Garnishing:
- Grated Lime Zest (as per taste)
- Fresh Cilantro Stem (as per taste)
- To begin, first thread the chicken strips onto bamboo skewers in a serpentine fashion.
- Now make the marinade by combining all the ingredients (the brown sugar, the curry powder, the peanut butter, the soy sauce, lime juice, cloves and chilly) till it takes the form of a consistent mixture in a shallow dish.
- Smear the chicken strips on the skewers with the marinade and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Although overnight is preferable because it allows the marinade to permeate the chicken and give it a beautiful flavor.
- To prepare the peanut butter sauce mix the peanut butter, coconut milk, lemon juice, soy sauce, molasses/brown sugar, ginger root and garlic cloves thoroughly in a saucepan. When done add cayenne pepper.
- Now, cook the above sauce over moderate heat. Keep stirring constantly until the sauce reaches a thick consistency and looks almost like heavy cream.
- Take a food processor and blend the cooked sauce to make puree. Blend only briefly.
- Now add to this chicken broth and soy milk and blend until it's smooth. This mixture can actually be blended several hours prior to cooking and stored under refrigerated conditions. At the time of serving bring it to room temperature.
- Now pre-heat the broiler or better still prepare moderate-hot charcoals.
- Cook the skewered chicken on it. It's important to keep turning it several times until the chicken is crispy on the outside but still moist inside. This will take about 8 minutes.
- For garnishing sprinkle the grilled chicken with lime juice and fresh cilantro.
- Serve it with the peanut butter sauce for dipping.