The Best Bean And Ham Soup
- 1 (20 oz) package Bean Mixture (soaked overnight)
- 1 Ham Bone
- 2 1/2 cups Ham (cubed)
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 3 stalks Celery (chopped)
- 5 large Carrots (chopped)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Diced Tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can low-sodium Vegetable Juice
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper (ground)
- 1 tbsp Parsley (dried)
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 7 cups low fat, low sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Take the soaked beans in a pot and fill it with water. The surface level of water should be about 1 inch above the beans.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then let it simmer over low flame for about 30 mins.
- Drain the beans and mix it well with ham bone, ham, onion, celery, carrots, tomatoes, vegetable juice, and vegetable broth.
- Now season it with Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, chili powder, bay leaves, pepper, parsley and lemon juice.
- Next add to this mixture the chicken broth in a measure just enough to cover the ingredients.
- Let it simmer on low flame for about 8 hrs. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add more chicken broth as and when required.
- Now remove the ham bones and add salt to taste.
- Keep simmering it over flame for couple of more hours.
- Just before serving just remove the bay leaves.