Tuna Rice Puff
|Calories Per Serving:
- 2/3 cup white Rice (uncooked)
- 1 1/3 cups Water
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper (ground)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 (12 ounce) can Tuna (undrained)
- 2 tbsp Onion (grated)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Boil the rice in water over high heat. Now reduce the flame to medium, cover and let the rice simmer until it's tender. Remove from heat when all the water is absorbed. It'll take about 20-25 minutes.
- Now pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg whites until foamy. Lift the beater or whisk straight up till the egg whites forms sharp stiff peaks. Keep it aside.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour, salt and pepper until it becomes pasty and takes a light brown color. That will take about 5 minutes. Now slowly and gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture, and let it simmer on medium heat. For 5 minutes cook it with constant stirring.
- Next whisk the egg yolks in a bowl until they break. Slowly pour in the milk a few tablespoons at a time until you have whisked in 1/3 of the milk mixture.
- Scrape this egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk, and whisk until smooth. Cook for about 2 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Remove the milk sauce from the heat and add in the rice, tuna, onion, and lemon juice. With great care fold in the egg whites until they have evenly blended with the sauce. Pour this into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- In the pre-heated oven bake this until the casserole has puffed slightly. It should take a golden brown color and should have st in the center. This will take about 40 minutes.