- 1 kg Chicken (washed and chopped into fine pieces)
- 3/4 inch Ginger
- 2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1½ tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1½ tsp White Poppy seeds
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 2 twigs of Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 4 Onions (medium-sized)
- 2 tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- ¾ cup Tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 Green Chilies
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp of Kalpasi (optional)
- Smear the chicken pieces with turmeric powder and salt.
- Now heat the oil in a large pan. Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, poppy seeds, green chilies, and curry leaves and if available Kalpasi to it.
- Sauté and take out the spices. Keep it aside.
- Now add finely chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste in the remaining oil.
- Fry till the onions turn golden brown.
- Now add tomato, coriander powder, sauted spices and chicken to the above.
- Add salt according to taste and fry the mixture for another 5 minutes.
- Put the lid and let the chicken cook for about half an hour.
- The gravy would turn almost dry. Occasionally add little water, if required.
- When the chicken becomes tender, put off the flame.
- Chettinad Chicken is ready to serve.