Plum Cardamom Jam
|Calories Per Serving:
- 5 pounds fresh Damson/ Damask Plums
- 1 cup Water
- 12 whole Cardamom Pods
- 4 cups White Sugar
- ¼ tsp Butter
- Fill the entire sink with cold water.
- Rinse and de-stem the plums.
- Place a thick-bottomed pan on fire and place the plums in them.
- Add water and cardamom pods to the plums.
- Boil the mixture over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 1½ hours. Thereafter cool the plums.
- Strain the cooled plums in a colander and press out the juice in a large bowl.
- Pick a handful of the slurry and squeeze out the plum pulp and skins gently into the bowl with the juice. Discard the pits of the plums.
- Return the plum pulp into the thick-bottomed pan and add white sugar and butter.
- Cook the mixture at very low simmer for about 4 hours till it thickens.
- Test the consistency of the jam by dropping a spoonful of it on a plate and refrigerating it for a few minutes. If the mixture is soft-set and is not syrupy, the jam is ready.
- Ladle the jam into hot, sterile jars.
- Wipe the lids clean and place the sterile lids on. Tighten the screw caps well.
- Cool the jars to room temperature.