Spanish String Beans
- 1½ pounds Green Beans (trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 1 medium Green Pepper (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Butter/ Margarine
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed Tomatoes
- 2 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 whole Cloves
- Water (as required)
- Place the green beans in a saucepan and pour enough water to cover the beans.
- Cook the beans for about 8 to 10 minutes till they turn crisp-tender.
- Place a skillet on fire and melt butter.
- Add onion and green pepper. Sauté.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, salt, bay leaf and cloves. Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the beans and add to the tomato mixture.
- Cover the skillet and cook for further 5 minutes until well heated.
- Discard bay leaf and cloves.
- Serve hot.