- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 3 tbsp Sugar to taste
- ¼ cup Short/Medium Grained Rice
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 4-5 Raisins
- Pinch of Saffron
- 1-2 tbsp Nuts (1used Almonds, Pistachios and Cashews)
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
- Heat ghee in a sauce pan
- Add chopped nuts along with raisins in the sauce pan. Set it aside when the raisins get plump and nuts turn reddish brown.
- Roast rice for 2-3 min in the same pan over low heat.
- Add milk to the pan now and let it come to boil over medium-high heat. Stir it occasionally so that the milk does not stick to the bottom.
- It is better to use a non-stick pan, to make sure that the milk does not burn.
- Once the milk is boiled add sugar to it and stir it. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the milk has reduced to half.
- Once the rice gets cooked and becomes soft and when the milk becomes half, the Payasam is done.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir gently till the ingredients combine and then serve it garnished with the remaining nuts.