Raised Polish Doughnuts
|Calories Per Serving:
- 1¾ cups Milk
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 (4 oz) package Yeast
- ¼ cup Warm Water
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- 5 cups Flour
- Oil (for deep frying)
- 1 lb powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Water (as required)
- Combine yeast and warm water in a mixing bowl. Stir to dissolve the yeast.
- Scald milk and mix with sugar and butter. Cool the mixture to lukewarm.
- Add the yeast mixture and 2 cups flour. Mix and let the mixture rise until light.
- Beat egg yolks and egg in a small bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add egg mixture and vanilla to the flour mixture.
- Add the remaining 3 cups flour and salt to the mixture. Knead the mixture to form dough. Keep the dough aside to rise.
- Roll out the dough to ½ inch thick.
- Cut out doughnut size pieces from the dough.
- Let the doughnuts rise till they are light.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan
- Deep fry the doughnuts until golden brown.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Prepare the glaze by combining sugar, cornstarch, cream and vanilla.
- Add water as required to from a medium consistency.
- Glaze the doughnuts while they are still warm.
- Serve warm or cool them at room temperature.