- 1/2 kg Mutton (cleaned and cut into pieces)
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- Few flakes garlic
- 3 tsp Coriander Powder
- Dried coconut
- 1 inch stick Cinnamon
- 3 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 cup Onion (chopped)
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 1 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 3 Peppercorns Cloves
- 3 Cardamoms Cloves
- 1 cup Curd
- 1/2 cup Onion
- 2 Bay leaf
- 8 tbsp Fat
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the meat in curd taken in a bowl.
- Roast cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns cloves. Make a fine powder.
- Grind ginger, red chillies, green chillies, half the onions, garlic and dried kernel of the coconut.
- Now heat fat in a pan. Add chopped onions and ground spices.
- Fry until onions turn golden brown.
- Now add meat and fry well. Add poppy seed powder.
- Add salt and remaining curd. Cook till meat becomes tender.
- Add powdered spices to it and remove from the flame.
- Fry remaining onions in fat in a separate pan.
- Add cloves and bay leaf.
- Fry for few minutes and add rice.
- Fry for another few minutes.
- Put salt to taste and make the quantity of water double.
- Remove from the flame when rice gets cooked and no moisture is left.
- Arrange a part of cooked rice in a pan and sprinkle saffron water over it.
- Place the meat over it and cover with rice layer once again.
- Garnish with fried onions and nuts.
- Mutton Biryani is ready.