Punjabi Mango Pickle
- 250 g raw Mangoes
- A pinch of Asafetida
- 100 g Fennel Seeds
- ½ tbsp Onion seeds
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tbsp White Pepper
- ½ tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 50 g Salt
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ L Mustard Oil
- Clean, wash and dry the mangoes properly.
- Cut into medium sized pieces leaving skin on.
- Heat about 1 L of mustard oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add asafetida.
- Remove from heat and add fennel seeds, onion seeds, fenugreek seeds, white pepper, salt, turmeric and red chili powder.
- Mix well in oil.
- Now add the pieces of mango and make sure that the oil coats all the pieces of mango.
- Put in clean glass bottles and top with mustard oil.
- Sun the jars for 4 days until sunset.
- Turn and stir with a dry spoon three times a day.
- This pickle will keep well for over a year, provided no wet spoon is put into the jar.