Onion Mushroom Strata
- 3/4 Cup thinly sliced onion
- 1-1/2 Cups sliced mushrooms
- 1-Week-old white bread slices
- 1-1/2 Cups evaporated milk
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp White pepper
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1-1/2 Cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 Cup water
- 3 tbsp Flour
- Fry mushrooms and onions in butter in a saucepan. Cut crusts from bread; trim into quarters.
- Layer ingredients in 10 x 6 x 2 inch baking dish as follows: half the bread squares, half the saut?ed vegetables, 1 cup cheese, remaining bread, remaining vegetables, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Put evaporated milk, flour, salt, water, eggs and pepper in blender container. Cover blend until smooth.
- Pour over ingredients in dish. Cover and allow it to chill several hours. Bake, uncovered, in slow oven 325 F for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Then allow it to stand for 10 minutes. Cut into squares to serve.