|Calories Per Serving:
- 2 1/8 cups Milk
- ½ cup Butter
- 3 (0.6 oz) cakes compressed fresh Yeast
- 8 oz Quark/ Sour Cream
- 2 (0.5 gram) packets Saffron (powdered)
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 7½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Raisins (optional)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- Combine milk and butter in a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Stir until the butter had melted and the temperature reaches to 100 °F (38 °C).
- Place yeast in a bowl and crumble it.
- Pour in the warm milk and stir to dissolve yeast.
- Add quark, saffron, sugar, salt and 7 cups of flour to the yeast mixture. Mix well to form shiny and silky dough.
- Add more flour the mixture, if required.
- Cover the dough and allow it to rise for 40 minutes.
- Take 2 or 3 baking sheets and cover each one with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Turn the dough to a floured surface and divide it into 35 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a rope about 5 to 6 inches long.
- Keeping the rope flat on the surface, roll each end towards the center, in opposite directions, to form a curled S-shape.
- Repeat with the other pieces.
- Place the buns on the baking sheets and garnish with raisins.
- Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
- Cover the buns with a towel and let them rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush each bun with beaten egg and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, till they are puffed and golden.