Swiss Hazelnut Taler
|Calories Per Serving:
- 1 cup shelled Hazelnuts
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- ¾ cup Potato Starch
- 1 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/8 cups Butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ¼ cup White Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Layer the hazelnuts on a baking sheet.
- Roast the hazelnuts for about 10 minutes till they are toasted and fragrant.
- Transfer the hazelnuts into a damp towel and cover them. Rub them lightly to remove the skins. Allow them to cool completely.
- Place the hazelnuts into a food processor and blend them to a coarse mixture.
- Combine together ground hazelnuts, flour, baking powder, salt, potato starch and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and butter. Knead the mixture till it is smooth and even.
- Divide the dough into 8 portions and roll each one into a log of about 1 inch in diameter.
- Sift cocoa powder and white sugar on a plate.
- Roll each dough piece into the cocoa mixture.
- Wrap it with plastic or waxed paper. Repeat with other dough pieces.
- Freeze the pieces for 45 minutes till they are firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Remove the dough pieces from the freezer and slice each roll into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Place the cookies on baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes till the center is dry and the bottoms are lightly toasted.