Pastry Apple Bars
- 10 Apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 2-1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 2/3 cup Cold Water
- 1 cup Cornflakes Cereal
- 3/4 cup White Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a cup, beat egg yolk, stir the cold water into the yolk.
- Gradually stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until dough can be packed into a ball.
- On a clean dry surface, roll out 1/2 of the dough large enough to cover the bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch pan.
- Lay the dough in the pan and place the cornflakes over the dough in the pan.
- Arrange apple slices over the top of the corn flake layer.
- Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon over the apples.
- Roll out the second half of the dough to cover the entire pan.
- Lay over the filling and pinch the edges of the two crusts together.
- Beat the egg white until foamy, and brush onto the top crust.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown.