Finnish Christmas Cookies
- 2 cups Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 2/3 cup Almonds (finely chopped)
- Colored Sugar (optional)
- Mix butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until fluffy and creamed.
- Add in flour and beat the mixture well.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll the dough onto a floured surface to ¼-inch thickness.
- Brush the rolled over dough with beaten egg.
- Sprinkle almonds and colored sugar, if desired.
- Cut the dough into 2x1 inch strips using a fluted pastry cutter or knife.
- Place the strips on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake the strips at 350 °F (175 °C) for 10 to 12 minutes till they are lightly brown in color.
- Remove and cool them on wire racks.