|Calories Per Serving:
- 2 cups Milk
- ½ cup Margarine
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 (0.25 oz) packages active dry Yeast
- ½ cup Warm Water (110 °F/ 45 °C)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Cardamom (ground)
- 7½ cups Bread Flour
- 2 tbsp Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Milk
- Pour milk in a small saucepan and heat it till it bubbles. Remove from heat.
- Add margarine, white sugar and salt to the milk. Mix well to melt the ingredients.
- Allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm.
- Combine yeast and warm water in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve the yeast. Let it stand for 10 minutes till it turns creamy.
- Transfer the milk mixture into a large bowl.
- Add eggs, 1½ cups bread flour, cardamom and yeast mixture. Beat the mixture well. Cover the bowl and allow it to stand for 20 to 30 minutes till it turns bubbly.
- Add the remaining 6 cups of flour, ½ cup at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead till it is smooth and supple, for about 8 minutes.
- Oil a large bowl lightly. Place the dough into the bowl and turn to coat all the sides.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rise for about 1 hour till it has doubled in volume.
- Transfer the dough back to the floured surface and divide it into 3 equal pieces.
- Divide each piece into thirds.
- Roll out the pieces between hands to form long logs.
- Braid 3 pieces together to form a loaf.
- Repeat with the other pieces.
- Place the braided loaves on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Allow the loaves to rise for 40 minutes till they have nearly doubled.
- Bake the loaves for 30 minutes till they turn golden brown.
- Remove and transfer onto a wire rack. Cool them completely.
- Take a small bowl and combine together butter and confectioners' sugar.
- Add in vanilla extract and milk. Mix well to form frosting of spreadable consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled bread.