Danish Pastry Apple Bars
|Calories Per Serving:
- 2½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Shortening
- 1 Egg Yolk
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 cup Cornflakes Cereal
- 8 cups Tart Apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- ½ cup White Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (ground)
- 1/3 cup Confectioners' Sugar (sifted)
- Combine together flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in shortening and mix till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat the egg yolk lightly in a glass measuring cup.
- Add milk to measure 2/3 cup of the liquid in total.
- Add to the flour mixture and mix well to form soft dough.
- Divide the dough into two pieces.
- Roll half the dough on a floured surface to make an 18x12 inch rectangle.
- Fit the dough into a 15x10 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle corn flake cereal and scatter apples.
- Mix together white sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle it over the apples.
- Roll out the remaining dough to a 16x12 inch rectangle and place it over the apples.
- Seal the edges and make slits on the top.
- Bake the pie at 375 °F (190 °C) for about 50 minutes till the pie turns golden brown.
- Remove and cool the pie on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle confectioners' sugar over the pie generously.
- Serve warm or cool with whipped cream.