German Brotchen Rolls
|Calories Per Serving:
- 2 tbsp active dry Yeast
- 1 tbsp White Sugar
- 2½ cups Warm Water (110 °F)
- 2 tbsp Shortening
- 2 tsp Salt
- 7 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Egg Whites (stiffly beaten)
- 1 Egg White (for egg wash)
- 2 tbsp Cold Milk
- Combine yeast and white sugar with warm water in a large bowl. Stir to dissolve yeast and sugar.
- Leave the mixture aside for about 10 minutes till it turns creamy.
- Add shortening, salt and 3 cups of flour.
- Whisk the dough for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add egg whites.
- Add the remaining 4 cups of flour, ¼ cup at a time. Mix till the dough forms a mass and pulls away from the bowl.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add more flour, if required.
- Oil a large bowl lightly. Place the dough into the ball and turn to coat well.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and leave it a warm place for 1 hour till it rises to double its size.
- Thereafter, punch the dough and shape it into round dough.
- Leave it aside for another 45 minutes for rising.
- Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
- Punch the dough again and divide it into 24 equal portions.
- Form each portion into oval rolls, about 3½ inches long.
- Place the rolls on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Cover the rolls and let them rise for another 40 minutes.
- Place an empty baking sheet in the bottom rack of the oven.
- Beat the egg white lightly in a small bowl.
- Add cold milk and stir to make cold wash.
- Brush the rolls with egg wash.
- Place 1 cup of ice cubes on the hot baking sheet in the oven. Immediately place the rolls for baking in the oven.
- Bake the rolls for 20 minutes till the tops turn golden brown.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.