Cheese Ale Soup
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Celery with leaves (chopped)
- 1 cup Carrot (peeled &chopped)
- 1 cup Parsnips (peeled& chopped)
- 2 tbsp Garlic (crushed)
- ¼ cup Flour
- 3½ cup rich Chicken Stock
- 4 cups Bass Ale
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Cayenne Pepper/Hot Pepper Sauce (to taste)
- 4 tbsp Cornstarch (diluted in cold water)
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Salt (to taste)
- 225 g Stilton & Cheddar Cheese
- Parsley (chopped, for garnishing)
- Melt butter in a big pot on low flame and add all the vegetables. Toss and flip well.
- Cover the pot and cook till the onion turns brown.
- Add flour to the mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Add more butter if the mixture is turning dry.
- Add chicken stock, ale, bay leaves, and hot peppers, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and cook for another 15 minutes on low medium flame.
- Add the diluted cornstarch to the cooked vegetables and cook on medium flame until the soup thickens.
- Add cream and cheese to the soup. Stir.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve hot with buttered bread or tankards of ale.