- 1 Cup rice
- 1 Cup moong daal
- 10 Cashewnuts
- 3 Chopped green chillis
- 3 Cups water
- 2 tbsp Dry coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a cooker.
- Wash rice and moong dal. Leave them aside.
- Saute cashewnuts in oil and leave aside.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add chopped green chillis and fry for few seconds.
- Add dal and fry again for a minute.
- Add rice and pour water.
- Add turmeric powder, coconut and salt.
- Put the lid and cook till third whistle.
- Cool and add cashews, pepper powder and chopped coriander leaves.
- Khara Pongal is ready to serve.