Portuguese Fish Chowder
- 2 pounds Cod Fillets (cut into chunks)
- 4 cups Water
- 4 cups Fish Stock or Clam Juice
- 1/2 tsp Saffron Shreds
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 3 Potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1/4 pound Salt Pork (cubed)
- 2 medium-size Onions (peeled and diced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Take fish, water, stock, saffron shreds, vinegar, and salt in a pot.
- Heat on low flame until the fish can be flaked with a fork but still remains stiff.
- Remove the fish in a separate plate and boil the potatoes in the same liquid.
- In the meantime, brown the salt pork in a separate pan.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook over low heat until the onions turn golden and soft.
- Discard the garlic.
- Add this preparation to the liquid.
- If the potatoes are cooked, add the fish. Simmer until the fish is completely cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.