Fillozes (Portuguese Donuts)
- Oil (for frying)
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 Yeast Cake
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 stick Butter
- ½ tsp Salt
- 9 Eggs
- Melt yeast in 1/4 cup water.
- Whisk sugar into eggs, and stir in the melted yeast.
- Add flour and salt. Blend the mixture with your hand until you get soft dough.
- Melt butter and let it cool. Mix it into the dough and blend well. Keep in a warm place to rise until double.
- Heat oil over low heat.
- Make small balls from dough and stretch each one to give the shape of a ring.
- Drop in small batches into the oil. Brown it on both sides.
- Sprinkle some sugar while they are still warm.