- 1 baking Potato (peeled and cut into large chunks), or 1 cup leftover mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup Milk
- 1½ tbsp Lard
- 1½ tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp Dry Yeast
- 1/3 cup Warm Water
- 5 cups Bread Flour
- Boil potato until tender.
- Reserve the cooking liquid and smash the potato.
- Combine the scald milk with 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid.
- Mix liquids and potato with lard, butter, salt, and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In the meantime, combine yeast and warm water. Set aside until foamy.
- Add the yeast mixture to the cooled potato mixture.
- Add flour and knead to make smooth dough with hand or in a mixer.
- Shift into a bowl (coated with butter) and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place to rise for about half hour. Knead the dough for a while.
- Take a butter-coated pan and place the dough in it. Cover with plastic again and let rise until doubled, for about 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes.