Fig Sly Cake
- 290 g Flour
- Salt (to taste)
- 115 g Butter (diced)
- 85 g Lard (diced)
- 60 g Castor Sugar
- 230 g dried Figs (chopped)
- 85 g Walnuts (chopped)
- 60 g Currants
- 60 g Raisins
- Milk (to glaze)
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add butter and lard. Rub with your hands till you get breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar, along with enough water, and mix to form soft dough.
- Combine figs, walnuts, currants, and raisins in a saucepan.
- Add 200 ml water and cook, whisking continuously until the fruits are cooked & soft. Remove and cool.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.
- Butter a baking tray.
- Lay one half part of dough in the tray.
- Layer the fruit mixture over the dough and place the second dough part on the top.
- Bake at 375 °F for 40 minutes, or until the cake turns golden brown.
- Serve hot with tea or coffee.