- 5 cup Figs (peeled)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp Flour
- ½ tsp Cinnamon (grounded)
- ½ tsp Nutmeg (grounded)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Flour
- Salt (to taste)
- 1/3 cup Shortening
- ¼ cup Cheddar Cheese (crumbled)
- Cut the peeled figs into halves.
- Layer the figs evenly in a slightly buttered baking pan and pour lemon juice over them.
- Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg together. Spread over the figs.
- Make dots with butter on the mixture.
- Combine flour, salt, and shortening on a flat surface.
- Add cheese and whisk with a fork, adding drops of water a time.
- Roll the flour mixture and shape it into a round pastry.
- Place it over the figs in the pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 °F.