- 500 g Elephant Foot Yam (peeled)
- 250 g Unripe Plantains (peeled)
- 1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 medium Coconut (grated)
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 dry Red Chilies
- 3 stalks Curry Leaves
- Dice the yam into 3 cm cubes.
- Split the plantains end to end into 1 cm dices.
- Grind grated coconut, cumin seeds, and water together making a fine paste.
- Cook yam and plantains with 1½ cup water in a pan.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Simmer for 20 minutes on high flame.
- Add coconut paste and cook till the gravy turns thick.
- Heat coconut oil in another pan and fry mustard seeds.
- Add red chillies and curry leaves when the mustard starts crackling and cook for a while, tossing the chilies occasionally.
- Put the mustard seed mixture into the yam-plantain. Stir frequently until the coconut turns brown.