- 1 pound Phyllo Pastry Sheets (12 sheets)
- ½ pound unsalted Butter (melted)
For the Filling:
- 1 pound Walnuts (coarsely ground)
- ½ pound Almonds (coarsely ground)
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp ground Cinnamon
For the Syrup:
- 2 cups Water
- 1½ cups Sugar
- 10 whole Cloves
- ½ Lemon (juiced)
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
- Mix walnuts, almonds, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Brush the bottom and sides of a 9x12 rectangular pan with butter using a pastry brush.
- Layer six phyllo sheets, each brushed with melted butter.
- Spread half of the nut mixture evenly over the sheets. Pat it with a spatula to flatten.
- Repeat the same for the remaining sheets and mixture and continue layering.
- Before baking, score the top layer of phyllo to enable easy cutting of the pieces later.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the phyllo turns into a rich golden color.
- Meanwhile, combine water and sugar in a pot.
- Add cloves and simmer over medium-high heat till you get a thick syrup.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Stir.
- Cut the baked mixture into small rolls and serve warm with slightly cool syrup.