Cretan Cheese Cinnamon Pastries
- 1½ cups Fresh Mizithra or Ricotta
- 2 cups All purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Hard Ricotta (grated)
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 Eggs (separated)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- Confectioners' Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Butter; melted
- 4 tablespoon Milk
- Prepare the filling by combining the cheeses, lightly beaten egg yolks, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and melted butter in a bowl. Keep it aside.
- Prepare the dough with flour, salt and butter. Mix it rubbing in between your fingers and then add the vanilla, egg whites and enough milk. Knead it well so that dough can smooth, elastic and soft. Make small balls of the dough and roll-out each one. Place 1 teaspoon of the filling on the rolled dough and fold it by half pressing their edges.
- Place them on buttered cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees F until the pastries puff up and take a light chestnut color.
- Remove from the oven and place on a tray. Sprinkle the confectioners' sugar and cinnamon. Serve to delight.