- 5 cups sifted All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Shortening
- 2 Egg Yolks (beaten)
- Milk (as required)
- 1 cup crushed Corn Flakes
- 12 cooking Apples (peeled and sliced)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Egg White (well beaten)
- 1 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 tbsp Water
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Combine all-purpose flour with salt and shortening in a large bowl. Mix well with hands.
- Mix egg yolks with enough milk to prepare 1 1/3 cup liquid.
- Gradually add the liquid to the flour-shortening mixture.
- Mix thoroughly and knead smooth dough. Divide into two parts and roll out each into a 14x16 inch rectangle.
- Place one of them in a buttered baking pan and spread crushed corn flakes over it.
- Arrange the apple slices on the corn flakes.
- Combine sugar, vanilla, flour, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apple slices.
- Place another rectangle over the apples and seal the edges.
- Coat the top layer evenly with beaten egg white.
- Top with confectioner's sugar.
- Bake in moderate oven for 1 hour.
- Cut into squares and serve hot.