Prawn Curry With Coconut
- 25 g Tamarind
- 450 g Prawns
- 50 g grated Coconut
- 25 g creamed Coconut
- 100 g Peas
- 5 stems of Curry Leaves
- 1 Green Chilly (deseeded & halved)
- 40 g Ginger Root (peeled & chopped)
- 2 Tomatoes (diced)
- 25 g Ghee
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 Whole Red Chilies
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- Soak tamarind in a cup of hot water for 10-15 minutes and extract the pulp.
- Immerse coconut in 300 ml water in a bowl for 10 minutes. Blend in a food processor and strain to get the milk. Reserve the coconut pulp.
- Combine creamed coconut milk, peas, curry leaves, green chilly, ginger, tomatoes, and tamarind pulp in a saucepan. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in another pan and sauté fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, and red chilies, until fenugreek turns light brown. Take off from heat and keep aside to cool.
- Grind it with the reserved coconut pulp and some water to make a smooth paste.
- Take 1 tbsp ghee in a separate pan and fry prawns until dry. Flavor with salt and cook covered for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the ground coconut paste and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Gently pour into the boiling coconut milk containing tamarind.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a pan and fry onion. Pour over the curry.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.