- 300 g dried Vaal Dal
- 1 Coconut (grated)
- ½ dried Coconut
- 1½ tbsp Parsi Dhansakh Masala
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Chilly Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 4 large Onions (chopped)
- 4 large Tomatoes (chopped)
- I tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Soak vaal dal in water for 3 days to sprout.
- Grind coconut finely, adding ½ cup water.
- Grind dried coconut with some hot water and strain to extract thick coconut milk.
- Heat oil in a pan and cook onions and ginger-garlic paste, until softened.
- Add ground coconut, danksakh powder, garam masala, chilly powder, turmeric powder, sugar, salt, and tomatoes. Mix and cook until spices are cooked well.
- Add sprouted dal, coconut milk, and 2 cups water. Cook until the dal turns soft and tender. Pour more water, if required.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.