Chicken with Fennel
- 1 Whole Chicken (cut into pieces and skinless)
- 1 kg Fennel Bulbs (cut into quarters)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- I medium Onion (sliced into rings)
- 1 medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1½ tsp Ginger
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Moroccan Yellow Colorant
- ½ tsp White Pepper
- ½ tsp Saffron Threads (crumbled)
- ½ tsp Fennel Seed (Saunf)
- ¼ tsp Ras El Hanout
- Pepper Powder (to taste)
- 1 cup Water
- Handful of Cilantro Sprigs (tied into a bouquet)
- 2 handfuls of Red Olives
- 1 Preserved Lemon (quartered and de-seed)
- Take chicken with chopped onion, garlic, ginger and spices in a large bowl. Combine well.
- Put ½ cup of olive oil at the bottom of a broad pot and scatter with sliced onion.
- Place the chicken, flesh side down, in the middle of the pot and surround with chopped onions.
- Take a cup of water in the bowl and add to the pot.
- Distribute the fennel bulbs around the perphery. Top up with cilantro and sprinkle remaining olive oil over it. Add on olives and preserved lemon.
- Cover the pot with lid and get to a boil on medium-high flame.
- Adjust the flame at medium-low and cook for 60 minutes, or until meat is cooked and gravy is condensed. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the cilantro from the meat and serve warm.