- 4 cups Flour
- ¼ cup Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Yeast
- 1 cup Warm Milk
- ¼ cup Butter (very soft)
- 1 Egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest (grated)
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- Powedered Sugar
- Take flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Blend in yeast and warm milk and keep to the side for 2 minutes.
- Add butter, egg, vanilla, lemon zest and mix well into sticky dough. Add more flour or milk if required.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl turning it at least once to smear the dough with oil. Keep it covered with towel for 2-3 hrs.
- Press down the dough and flip it over. Again keep it covered with towel for 45 minutes.
- Rol out the dough 1/8" thick on floured surface. Cut into circles using sharp edged glass. Keep covered for 60 min.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry in batches for 2-3 min or until golden brown. Stir it for many times.
- Place the beignets on the tissue paper to remove the excess oil.
- Roll them in powedered sugar and serve with apricot jam.